churchofchai

a view into the sordid life i lead

Monday, September 10, 2007

Social networkers need rights too

Given the overwhelming availability of social networks (I wonder if any of them have made me more social or worth communicating with, but that's a discussion for another day), it's interesting to see A Bill of Rights for Users of the Social Web.
There are valuable long-term issues that the current wave of socializing is going to bring up. The one that I'm most interested in is the virtual permanance of the content.

The Social Web phenomenon mimics penpals of a distant era. I remember having a pen-pal in Palm Springs when I was a kid in Zambia. I had no idea where Palm Springs was, or pretty much anything about America (except for a pencil case which had a picture of an American Football pileup with 20 guys - and that confused me about football/soccer for a long time). That relationship ended about 3 letters in, when I got bored, and never resurfaced. The Social Web, on the other hand, maintains relationships in tube-space long after all physical connections have been buried, cremated and vaporized.

So the above linked bill of rights is somewhat relevant, and is going to be very interesting to implement.


Powered by ScribeFire.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home