churchofchai

a view into the sordid life i lead

Thursday, August 17, 2006

catalyst MVC for perl

Catalyst seems to be the Perl equivalent of Rails. Seems like I'm doing something right since I started off with Maypole (which inspired Catlyst), then dove into Rails (which catalyst stole from for simplicity). Everything I read about it seems like I should be working with it. So, I'm taking the plunge. Installation is a bit of a bitch, but only because there are so many dependencies that need to be taken care of:


  1. Probably the best writeup as of this writing is here
  2. Install Text-SimpleTable. I had to do this by downloading an bulinding (installing from CPAN did not work for some crazy reason)
  3. Install SQLite (sudo apt-get install sqlite). May as well install the Perl DBI SQLite modules at this time (perl -MCPAN -e "install Class::DBI::SQLite")
  4. Install Catalyst and all the dependency modules
  5. Catalyst uses Template Toolkit. Here's a good background on how to create a site using TT.
  6. Install Catalyst::Helper - this is not litsed on the perl.com site, but it's necessary in order to run a virtual server (i.e., Catalyst's own built-in server)

Catalyst does a similar job to Rails - the site structure and framework are created simply by running catalyst.pl against the new sitename. I'll post more once I've played with it a bit. That way I can actually compare against a Rails install.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home